It’s been three weeks since I’ve had my braids, already my hair is so itchy that it’s driving me crazy. I decided to research the best way to wash braids and thought this might be helpful to you if you are in the same position.
- Rinse you hair with warm water.
- Apply a sulfate free shampoo, massage your hair using fingertips. No need to wet all the braids.
- Rinse out the hair with warm water.
- Apply conditioner and massage from root to tip. (if desired wear a plastic cap and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse out conditioner with cold water to allow your hair cuticle to close.
- Squeeze out excess water and wrap hair in a towel for 20 minutes.
- Apply leave-in conditioner and/ or oil to seal in the moisture.
- In between washes, spray hair with water and oil to keep hair moisturized.
** After I applied the conditioner I decided to rinse my hair with Apple cider vinegar. (Just mix 1/3 of a cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with one liter of water). **
Apple cider vinegar is really good for your hair because of these benefits:
- The acidity of the mixture will help maintain the pH balance of your hair
- The acid and enzymes in the apple cider vinegar will help destroy bacteria that cause dandruff and itchiness.
- Apple cider vinegar will help stimulate better circulation to your hair follicles.
- It will strengthen your roots and will promote a healthy head of hair.
And if you happen to have dandruff:
A home remedy for dandruff is to mix 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar with 1/4 cup water. The vinegar solution is thought to restore the pH balance of the scalp and discourage the overgrowth of malassezia furfur, the yeast-like fungus that’s thought to trigger dandruff.
The vinegar mixture is usually poured into a spray bottle and spritzed on the hair and scalp, avoiding the eye and ear area. A towel is then wrapped around the head and left on 15 minutes to an hour. After that, the vinegar can be washed from the hair. Alternative practitioners often recommend it once or twice a week for dandruff.
Apple cider vinegar has so many benefits, I will do another post just on ” The benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar”. Stay tuned!